[Archivesspace_Users_Group] LCNAF plugin - related agents duplicated

Custer, Mark D. CusterM at si.edu
Wed Nov 22 13:07:37 EST 2023

Hi Caitlin,

To answer your question about how other repositories are handling this, I’ll note that at the Smithsonian we decided to override this behavior with a plugin for the time being.  The override ensures that the LCNAF plugin behaves as it would previously, without importing related subjects + agents (since those lack identifiers, when they were imported, due to the single MARC-authority-record approach) and without trying to add additional demographic data, like gender.  The approach is very heavy handed, in that it simply removes the new behavior from the MARC Authority record importer code.

If you can install plugins in your instance of ArchivesSpace and would like any help getting this set up, just let me know.  For the basic approach, though, see https://github.com/Smithsonian/lassb-aspace-overrides/blob/main/backend/plugin_init.rb.  If you add that file + file structure in a plugin (even the ‘local’ plugin would do), then that approach might work for you.

Best,

Mark