[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Inclusive container management in ArchivesSpace

Dean DeBolt ddebolt at uwf.edu
Fri Sep 6 09:24:23 EDT 2019

Since we are a regional history center, we do acquire lots of publications
which are not part of
collections.  Since we also administer a 'rare book room' that incorporates
regional history, items
like books, serials, government documents, booklets, etc. can be cataloged
by the library cataloging
department and placed in this area.

For other materials (think tourist publications, studies, archaeological
publications, etc.), we maintain
a vertical file collection called the Bibliography of West Florida where
materials are organized by year
of publication and then a sequential number.  We maintain an annotated
bibliography (both published
(1535-1981) and an online (everything since 1981 and newer items) which
serves as a finding aid to
these materials.   This is not a task every library/archives would do, but
began here in 1966 when we
were trying to determine what materials (books, journals, government
documents, theses, etc.) would
be necessary for the new university and library covering West Florida.   An
annotated developing
bibliography told us what we needed and why, and we kept that up...yes, I
guess the BWF is 53 years
old now, and I'm adding "new" 2018-2019" entries to it daily.   Examples:

*BWF 2018-011*

Destination Panama City.

            Panama City, Florida . . . Visitors Guide.  [n.p., n.d., 2018?]

            44 p.               illus.    26.5 cm.

Tourism guide to Panama City including restaurants, spas, shopping,
beaches, maps, and related information.

UWF (BWF Files)

*BWF 2018-012*

Visit Panama City Beach.

            Visit Panama City Beach, Spring 2018 Magazine.  [Panama City,
FL:  2018]

            98 p.               illus.                21.5 cm.

Tourism guide to Panama City Beach with articles on restaurants, deep sea
fishing charters, golfing, and other beach destinations.

                        UWF (BWF Files)

*BWF 2018-013*

Destin Chamber of Commerce.

            [Destin Area Visitor’s & Relocation Guide].  [Destin, FL:  2018]

            64 p.               illus.                21.5 cm.

                        Cover title:  Destin

                        Title taken from editor column, p. 5.

                        Tourism guide to Destin, Florida.

                        UWF (BWF Files)

*BWF 2018-014*

Dodson, David B.

            The Eating of Horses on the Luna Expedition to la Florida:
bones and teeth as marker artifacts.   June, 2018.  [
http://archeologyink.com]

            9 p.                  illus., color     28 cm.

Review of horses on the Tristan de Luna expedition of 1559 and expedition
accounts noting the importance of horses for travel as well as food, and
noting that horse bones, teeth, and horseshoes should be expected at any of
the related archaeological excavations.

                        UWF (BWF Files)

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian (Professor)/University Archivist
UWF Archives and West Florida History Center
University of West Florida Library
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
ddebolt at uwf.edu;   850-474-2213

West Florida History Center is the largest and most comprehensive
history collection about Pensacola and the West Florida region.
http://libguides.uwf.edu/universityarchives

Digital collections can be found at:  http://archives.uwf.edu/Archon/
<http://143.88.66.76/Archon/>