[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Inclusive container management in ArchivesSpace

Noah Huffman noah.huffman at duke.edu
Fri Sep 6 10:12:56 EDT 2019

Hi Kate,

Here is a summary of how we manage physical inventory at Duke (not recommending this approach, but just providing info as a case study). I’m curious about how varied institutional practices are in this area as well:

--Physical inventory for books and archival holdings is managed in our ILS (Aleph … soon to be FOLIO). Every volume and archival box is barcoded and represented with an item record in the ILS. Bib records for archival collections in the ILS may have hundreds of item records attached.  In the ILS, holdings and item records for mss. containers are sort of modeled like serials or multi-volume sets.  All of this itemization/barcoding work in the ILS happened about 12 years ago for mss. collections.

--We manage archival description in ArchivesSpace (multi-level) and the ILS (collection-level). Archival containers are enumerated in ASpace, but we currently do not store barcodes or location information in ArchivesSpace.

--Books and other published materials that are not part of Archival collections are described only in the ILS and not in ArchivesSpace.

--We use Aeon to manage requests / fulfillment of all special collections holdings (books and mss.). There is some integration between the ILS and our public finding aid interface (homegrown, not ASpace PUI). Patrons can initiate a request from either a finding aid or a catalog record, but are then routed to a separate requesting application that just displays all of the requestable items in a given collection as represented in the ILS. Once a request is placed for a given item, a new request transaction record is created in Aeon. There is some integration between Aeon and our off-site storage inventory management system (GFA) that allow us to push Aeon requests to GFA for onsite-delivery.

All of the above works fairly well in our setup, although we often have discrepancies between containers listed in published finding aids (and in ASpace) and containers represented in the ILS. Keeping these in-sync is an issue. Moving all archival holdings and location data to ArchivesSpace and out of the ILS would be one solution, but with over 100,000 archival containers I’ve put that project on hold for a bit☺

-Noah

Noah Huffman
Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Digital Records
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University | 919-660-5982
http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/