[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Background jobs failing off and on

Teresa Soleau TSoleau at getty.edu
Thu Nov 21 19:35:14 EST 2019

Hello,

I've got a ticket being worked on by Blake at LYRASIS but I also wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

A couple of weeks ago - not after any change on our side - we started getting background job failures off and on. This is happening for LCNAF import, print to PDF, and importing finding aids. When it happens, we get an empty log file and for print to PDF it sometimes looks like the job completes, but when you go to download the PDF it's 0 bytes. When I look at the logs I see messages like:

E, [2019-11-08T16:21:16.191610 #30840<https://lyrasis.zendesk.com/hc/requests/30840>] ERROR -- : Thread-2020: Unhandled exception!
E, [2019-11-08T16:21:16.192207 #30840<https://lyrasis.zendesk.com/hc/requests/30840>] ERROR -- :
No such file or directory - /apps/archivesspace/data/shared/job_files/print_to_pdf_job_7827/8a6077113b9a4e32c84ff4c457fa29f8
org/jruby/RubyIO.java:3583:in `read'
/apps/archivesspace/data/tmp/jetty-0.0.0.0-8089-backend.war-_-any-/webapp/WEB-INF/app/controllers/job.rb:217:in `block in ArchivesSpaceService'
org/jruby/RubyBasicObject.java:1687:in `instance_eval'
etc.

Restarting the application and indexer didn't help. Now I had the idea that maybe the job_created_record table needs to be cleared out (it has over 300,000 records) so we're working on doing that, but it's just grasping at straws here. It doesn't appear to be a permissions or space thing because you can get one to fail and then you run another one right after and it completes without error. We're running 2.5.1

Any advice would be much appreciated! This is very disruptive to our workflows and we haven't been able to resolve it for the past 2-3 weeks.

Thank you!
~Teresa Soleau

Digital Preservation & Library Systems Manager
Collection & Content Management Systems
J. Paul Getty Trust
1200 Getty Center Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049-1688