[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Empty space within a box

McPhee, Laurel lmcphee at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 28 10:57:20 EST 2019

Hi Olivia,

If I understand your problem correctly, it may be similar to something we’ve addressed using the container profile feature.

We recently completed a survey of our map case drawers, and wanted to express each drawer as a shared top container (each drawer can contain many oversize folders, of course, from different collections). The challenge was we also wanted to find a way to communicate if a drawer was full, or had space in it for more, so someone could be at their desk using ASpace and figure out a likely location to put something new (as opposed to going on a space-hunting expedition in the stacks).

Our solution was to create our 200-or-so map case drawer top containers (the unique indicator for each one is MC-XXX, X being the drawer number) , but based on our survey, also assign a profile to each drawer that makes the “status” of the drawer explicit: the name of the profile assigned to each drawer is either “Map case drawer – AVAILABLE” or “Map case drawer – FULL”. Using the assigned profiles, we always know what has space in it, and what is stuffed, because we can search on that profile name. And if a processor fills up a drawer, they simply change the profile from AVAILABLE to FULL. I’m not sure if this is a hacky work-around, or a brilliant solution, but it works for us, and got us away from having a separate, always out-of-date spreadsheet that told us the status of our drawers. It does require a fresh survey, for which we used undergraduate workers, to give you a snapshot of your container situation.

May all your containers be half full ☺,
Laurel