[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Empty space within a box

Paul Sutherland psutherland at amphilsoc.org
Thu Feb 28 02:58:48 EST 2019

Hi Olivia,

My memory may be wrong and you may have already tried this: I thought it
was possible to edit the details of a specific top container, including
notes fields, where a top container is linked to multiple archival records
(in your case, collections). I'm not able to test it out right now, but if
that's correct, then the process would be: add and link a top container to
all the relevant collections ("Add instance"), then go into the page for
that top container, and add an "extent remaining" value wherever seems
appropriate (probably a note). Any time you add more folders to a
container, you would edit the top container note to update the extent
remaining value.

Best,
Paul

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 4:55 PM Olivia S Solis <livsolis at utexas.edu> wrote:

> Also slight correction to my response above. We know the folders in a box
> and which collections they belong to. We don't know how wide they are or in
> which orientation in the box they are going.
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 3:50 PM Olivia S Solis <livsolis at utexas.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your input, Jordon! That totally makes sense, and in a
>> universe where I explained myself clearly, that would be a perfect
>> solution. Sometimes we put lots of stuff in the same box for certain
>> restrictions-related reasons. We've got a lot of born-digital stuff or
>> privacy-restricted material that comprises part of a larger collection
>> housed in other boxes. We're not sure how wide all the expandable folders
>> in a box are, or which collections they come from. And we don't have the
>> time to measure. But we do know there are 3 or 4 inches of space in this
>> box. Can we document this in any way at the box (not archival object) level?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 3:36 PM Jordon Steele <jsteele at jhu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Olivia,
>>>

>>> Sounds like what you might be looking for is a way for ASpace to
>>> calculate for you space left in a box? If so, here’s a thought:
>>>

>>> ·         For each collection stored in one box, measure its extent as
>>> cubic feet and record in ASpace
>>>
>>> ·         Obviously, record the volume of the main box in which these
>>> folders are stored, as container profiles, too. Record this volume as cubic
>>> feet.
>>>
>>> ·         Run a report on the number of folders in a box, calculate the
>>> total extent of those folders.
>>>
>>> ·         Subtract from the total volume of the container that they’re
>>> in.
>>>

>>> The difference should give you a number of how much space is left.
>>>

>>> Best,
>>>

>>> Jordon
>>>

>>> Jordon Steele
>>>
>>> Hodson Curator of the University Archives
>>>
>>> Sheridan Libraries
>>>
>>> Johns Hopkins University
>>>
>>> 3400 N Charles St
>>>
>>> Baltimore, MD 21218
>>>
>>> jsteele at jhu.edu
>>>
>>> 410-516-5493
>>>
>>> he/him/his

*Paul Sutherland* (he/his)
Archivist of Native American Materials
Center for Native American and Indigenous Research
American Philosophical Society
105 S. 5th Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19406
215-440-3408