[Archivesspace_Users_Group] installing wildcard SSL cert, redirect http to https

Cook, Robert rocook at seattleschools.org
Wed Dec 13 16:30:30 EST 2017

Brain,

For our deployment, we have F5 load-balancers. I configured an F5 virtual server object, that listens on port 443 (SSL/HTTPS) for the public interface and additional virtual servers for each respective port for each interface Staff, Backend, Solr. I elected to use 443 for the public interface for ease of use for customers using AS.

https://<AS_URL>/
vs
http:// <AS_URL>:8081/

The F5 NATs the “Client” connection to the “AS server”, with the connection between the “F5” and the “AS server” still being unencrypted (F5 acting as a HTTPS proxy).

I modified the config.rb to configure the application to use a different set of ports for the F5 connections to the server, while the client connections to the F5 use AS default ports (with the exception of 443 for the public interface), then I wrote a HTTP URI rewrite rule (called an iRule in F5 land) to re-write HTTP requests as HTTPS while maintaining the original requested URI string.

The path is:
Client <-- HTTPS --> F5 <-- HTTP --> AS Server

For the traffic between the F5 and the AS Server, the server is postured on our network in a way that we aren’t concerned about unencrypted traffic on the wire.

Referring back to AS documentation; if you use the Apache or some other method, you can install the proxy application on the same host as the AS server, and unencrypted traffic is never put onto the wire or leaves the server hosting the AS application, which is always preferred.

Thanks,
-Robbie

Robert Cook
Systems Engineer