[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Agents as originators, creators, and subjects

Powers, Susanna S powers at tulane.edu
Mon Aug 29 16:32:14 EDT 2016

Hi Lara and all,  You’re right that the agent-as-creator does not differentiate between main-entry vs. added-entry—I don’t see that as too much of a problem, since there are free-text notes which may explain the relationships.

However, I have issues with the agent-as-subject idea in ArchivesSpace (the fact that they are not retrieved in a subject search.)     The solution to that problem would be to have an agent-as-subject be indexed in the subject index, similar to how a 600 field is retrieved in subject searches in a catalog.     It would be desirable to incorporate this feature, especially since the majority of personal papers archival collections use the person as creator and subject.

Thanks,

Susanna S. Powers
Archives Catalog Librarian
Louisiana Research Collection