[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Extents for Single Volumes & MARC Exporting

Jaime Margalotti jmargalo at udel.edu
Mon Jul 21 16:33:34 EDT 2014

When you export a MARC record, the 300 field only pulls from the Number and
Type in Extent (and repeats if there is more than one present).  This is
workable with our standard large archival collections, but it is
problematic for our many small/single item/single volume collections.

For example, if I had a single volume diary, it would seem to make sense to
fill out the fields in Extent as follows:

Portion: Whole
Number: 1
Type: volume(s)
Container Summary: [left blank]
Physical Details: 180 p.
Dimensions: 20 cm.

When this is exported to MARCXML, ArchivesSpace only records "1 volume(s)"
in the 300 and the other information is lost.  It does appear in the EAD.

I know I can make a "Physical Description" Note that records all of this
information, but it appears as a 500 in the MARC and a competing (and
repetitive) <physdesc> in the EAD.

I'd like to avoid having to open every finding aid in MARCedit to tweak
this field, but I'm not seeing another viable option.  Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Jaime

--

Jaime L. Margalotti