[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ASpace VM crashing on Ubuntu 22.04.2?

Cliff Landis jlandis at auctr.edu
Mon Oct 30 15:07:47 EDT 2023

Hi folks,

TL;DR: Our production ArchivesSpace server is occasionally crashing with no warning/log info.  I'd love to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

We're running ArchivesSpace 3.4.0 on two virtual machine (VM) servers in parallel: one for Development (4 GB memory), one for Production (16 GB memory).  Both servers are on Ubuntu 22.04.2.

Occasionally, the Production VM will freeze up completely, to the point where we can't log in, and have to do a "hardware" reset through ESXi. Once we reset the server, login, and reboot the ASpace software, everything runs fine for a while until it freezes up again.

We tried putting the Development VM through a bunch of stress testing to see if we could replicate the issue, but we haven't been able to get it to freeze up.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, where their underlying operating system/hardware is crashing beneath ArchivesSpace?

Thanks!

Cliff Landis  (he/him/his<https://www.glsen.org/activity/pronouns-guide-glsen>)
Digital Initiatives Librarian
Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library
111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW
Atlanta, GA  30314
404-978-2155 (v)
http://www.auctr.edu<http://www.auctr.edu/>
jlandis at auctr.edu<mailto:jlandis at auctr.edu>

We will always provide service that exceeds the customer's expectation... Because we care!