[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Upgrading across multiple versions

Andrew Morrison andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 03:59:43 EDT 2023

If you haven't already, I would recommend assessing whether there is any
data in your 1.1.2 system that wouldn't be included if you exported your
records as EAD:

https://www.loc.gov/ead/eadschema.html

I never used 1.x. But assuming there was an API method to export it as
there is now...

https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/#get-an-ead-representation-of-a-resource

...you could export then import into a blank 3.4.1 system with this...

https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/?shell#create-a-new-job-and-post-input-files

Note that it needs to be EAD 2002, not the newer EAD3. And it is best to
import one EAD file per job, as it can cause indexing problems if you do
too many in one job.

A big change in recent years is that, since 3.2.0, ArchivesSpace no
longer comes packaged with the search engine. Now you have to set up and
run your own separate Solr server:

https://archivesspace.org/archives/7151

Also, if your old ArchivesSpace system was just set up as a trial, it
may be using the built-in Apache Derby database. But that is only
recommended for demonstration purposes, so you will need to set up and
run your own MySQL or MariaDB database (or use some cloud solution.)

Andrew.