[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question about PUI searches

Wendy Scheir scheirw at newschool.edu
Thu May 4 19:08:04 EDT 2023

Hi,

Sending this on behalf of our Reference and Instruction Archivist: Searching
our PUI delivers results of a lot of irrelevant records. Does anyone have a
solution or tips for limiting results in the PUI for keyword searching,
such that the user is not required to sort through or try to interpret
extraneous results?

For example, in trying to locate just one Archival Object record that we
have titled, “Provisional charter” (here's a link to the search results in
our PUI: https://tinyurl.com/r327bt8a). Note that one ends up with 11
Archival Objects records, only one of which is the Provisional charter. The
other 10 are located in the same Top Container. One *also *ends up with 691
Digital Objects! We know for certain that not a single one of these objects
is the Provisional charter we are seeking. But a researcher using the PUI
would not know this, and so would need to spend a lot of time trying to
find the one archival object with the title, Provisional charter. These
irrelevant results appear, we believe, because the Resource record the DOs
are part of references a provisional charter in the Historical note.

Is there a way to disable or limit certain types of results from appearing,
when they are not relevant?

Many thanks,

Wendy

____________________________________

WENDY SCHEIR

director
THE NEW SCHOOL ARCHIVES & SPECIAL COLLECTIONS

66 FIFTH AVENUE, NEW YORK, NY 10011

scheirw at newschool.edu
<https://www.newschool.edu/email-signature-generator/robinsa1@newschool.edu>

T 212-229-5942