[Archivesspace_Users_Group] legality of using Java

Heidi J. Webb WebbH at upstate.edu
Fri Mar 24 14:56:57 EDT 2023

Hello ArchivesSpace experts!

We self-host ArchivesSpace on a Windows server and our central IT department has asked us to remove Oracle Java and run OpenJDK instead or switch to a Linux environment and run the system on the built in OpenJDK/Java. We are currently running Oracle Java 15 with a downgraded connector based on a listserv suggestion when we were having a problem with the JDBC connector on the older versions of Java.

IT is concerned that we are violating the oracle license agreement and it would get discovered if our campus was ever audited.  I've dug around oracle's license agreements including the one for java 8 and 11 (https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/javase-license1.html) My interpretation is that you can use java 8 and 11 if it's included in the source code for the program.  ArchivesSpace's getting started technical docs say that it's required before installing (https://github.com/archivesspace/tech-docs/blob/master/administration/getting_started.md). What allows ArchivesSpace users to use Java 8 or Java 11 without violating the license agreement?

Alternatively, is anyone successfully using OpenJDK?

Any insight would be appreciated before we dive into trying to use OpenJDK or switching the entire system to Linux.

Heidi

Heidi Webb
Discovery and Technology Services
Health Sciences Library | SUNY Upstate Medical University
webbh at upstate.edu