[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Importing and linking Top Containers via Spreadsheet?

Hand, Sarit shand at ap.org
Mon Feb 27 22:29:28 EST 2023

Hi Julie,

I have been overhauling our top containers listings for a move that I have had less than 2 months to prep, plan and do. This has included using the bulk importer for archival objects, top container bulk importer and the bulk updater. They all have their pros and cons, but I can tell you, that without them, I would never have been able to do what I have been doing.

There are several issues with the Top container importer. I ran through the scenarios with support at LYRASIS and I believe a ticket was opened. According to the instructions you should not need an EAD ID, only the AO ID and you must upload it within the resource. However, it does not work that way. So, if you do not use EAD, throw in an EAD ID in the resource record and the importer. Also, there are some minor issues if you try to import a box number if that box number is also included in another top container that has a range, i.e.  if you have a top container, boxes 4-9, and then try to create and link a box 4 or box 9, it does not like to do that. Also, for some reason, if you download the PDF log and try to open it, it does not work. And the messaging is poor for this function. I DID figure out how to create and link multiple top containers to one archival object!! So happy that worked.

That said, I did manage work arounds to get it do what I needed and am happy to have the capability.

The bulk updater is great! But it too has limitations. Basically, I found I had to think through what my end goal was and step through it logically to determine the feature I would use to accomplish my goal.
If you wish to discuss, I am always happy to.

Cheers,

Sarit Hand
Digital Archivist
AP Corporate Archives