[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Local access restrictions and digital objects?

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Mon Sep 19 12:53:29 EDT 2022

Hello all,

I was wondering if any other institutions may have a need for extending
some local access restriction (attached to the Conditions Governing Access
note) functionality to digital objects. I realize that local access
restrictions were developed to facilitate container management. They work
great for flagging boxes as restricted and integrating with a system like
Aeon.

My institution is revisiting some of our local access restrictions. Since
we developed our specific local restrictions a number of years ago, we
began using more digital objects to document born-digital/digital
materials. We want to restrict some digital objects' access to the reading
room. If you apply a local access restriction to an archival object with a
container instance, the local access restriction is visible in the top
container's record in the SUI. I was wondering if there might be interest
in a similar feature so that a local access restriction could be visible in
the digital object record.

Right now, if you apply a local access restriction to an archival object
with a digital object instance, you can only tell it is restricted if you
view the object through the finding aid. I can see how this could get messy
if you have both top container and digital object restrictions. But it does
seem like a feature others could find useful too.

Thanks,
Olivia
--
Olivia Solis, MSIS (she/her)