[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Documenting Copyright Transfer

Gray, Adam GrayA2 at si.edu
Wed Sep 14 14:42:12 EDT 2022

Hi All,

I’m working on a project that involves documenting the transfer of copyright from donors to the repository. I have a number of accessions for which copyright interests have or will transfer to the repository after a specified term or event, e.g. 30 years or death of the donor. I'm looking for a good place to put that information in ASpace, preferably in a form that shows up in one of the default reports. Using event records, specifically the Copyright Transfer event type, seems like it may meet our needs to a) capture basic data about the transfer and b) generate an “Accession with Rights Transferred” report. That said, I’m not super familiar with event records and don’t know if that’s a preferable solution.

Does anyone have experience they’re willing to share about how they have (or are thinking about) approaching tracking and documenting copyright transfer? (FWIW, the majority of the accessions in question comprise moving image materials.) I’d love to hear what others are doing and how ASpace fits into their workflows for similar situations.

Thanks in advance!

-Adam

Adam Gray

Project Archivist