[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Report on ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter Meeting

Quimby, Sean smquimby at upenn.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:03:47 EDT 2022

Dear ArchivesSpace members:

I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter meeting, which was held virtually on February 28th and March 3rd. This quarter we experimented with holding two sessions to allow time for both the usual business and for a deeper discussion of certain key topics:  continuing to advance DEIA work, ArchivesSpace implementation at non-U.S. based institutions, and how the board can continue to mature in service of our community.

Nominating Committee Chair Nick Zmijewski presented a slate for this year’s Committee. It was accepted and we are happy to report that the following individuals will serve on the committee doing important work to identify and encourage diverse voices to consider serving on the Governance Board. The call for nominations will go out in the spring, but please feel free to contact them if you have suggestions or are interested in ArchivesSpace service.

  *   Very Large: Julia Tanenbaum, University of Wisconsin
  *   Large: Aaisha Haykal, College of Charleston
  *   Medium: Tiffany Cole, James Madison University
  *   Small: Corinne Chatnik, New York State Archives
  *   Very Small: Sara Butterfass Schliep, Folger Shakespeare Library
  *   Randy Kuehn and Dan Michelson, the TAC and UAC chairs, will be members of the committee by virtue of their positions.

The Board continued its conversations about how it can advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility goals for ArchivesSpace. The operations update highlighted progress with the Diversity Partnership<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2049998863/ArchivesSpace*Diversity*Partnership__;Kys!!IBzWLUs!AekIctY9eu-Wy_12aPjFkxOVE3_IYrRku73Fr6vk2UgwUPpH-sCddyn2VrjYW7qn2w$> program.  Board members reported on their participation at the first Diversity partners meeting and heard an update about the Inclusive Examples Project<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/3053748225/Inclusive+Examples+Project> work that is now underway. We discussed possibilities for more DEIA-centered work based on the community-supported initiatives<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1737261057/Anti-racism*and*Inclusion*Initiatives__;Kysr!!IBzWLUs!AekIctY9eu-Wy_12aPjFkxOVE3_IYrRku73Fr6vk2UgwUPpH-sCddyn2Vri0_3NHCw$> in the near future.

We also reviewed the changes in ArchivesSpace staffing and are delighted that Casey Rhodes, the new Developer, is starting on March 7th.

We reviewed the continued excellent work of the Technical and User Advisory Councils and thank the members for their dedicated participation.

Following up on a survey of archival educators that it undertook in the fall, the ad hoc Education Committee presented recommendations for ways to strengthen the Educational Membership<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/archivesspace.org/community/educational-program-membership__;!!IBzWLUs!AekIctY9eu-Wy_12aPjFkxOVE3_IYrRku73Fr6vk2UgwUPpH-sCddyn2Vrhh_TAJiQ$> program. Approved elements include creating a sandbox for education programs and developing a separate, more student friendly “Getting Started” web resource. More information about these changes will be shared soon.

Board member Natalie Adams shared observations from the University of Cambridge’s experience of implementing ArchivesSpace outside the us. She offered thoughts on some ways ArchivesSpace could demonstrate its commitment to the growing community of non-U.S. users.

The board undertook an activity from the It Takes A Village (ITAV<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/wiki.lyrasis.org/display/ITAV/It*Takes*a*Village*Home__;KysrKw!!IBzWLUs!AekIctY9eu-Wy_12aPjFkxOVE3_IYrRku73Fr6vk2UgwUPpH-sCddyn2VrgBJiJ3bQ$>) Sustainability Planning toolkit<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/wiki.lyrasis.org/display/ITAV/ITAViP*Toolkit:*Home__;Kys!!IBzWLUs!AekIctY9eu-Wy_12aPjFkxOVE3_IYrRku73Fr6vk2UgwUPpH-sCddyn2Vrjpr92f2g$>around representative governance and identified areas where procedures could be codified or communication improved. The board will undertake additional activities from the toolkit in future meetings.

The board is always eager to hear from the ArchivesSpace community. We have started planning this year’s Board Community Session designed to foster more direct engagement and communication between board and community members. Look for a separate announcement with date and time once those are finalized. We hope you can attend!

I am very happy to report that the ArchivesSpace membership continues to be strong, even in the face of the challenging circumstances of the last few years.

The Board extends thanks to all of you for your continuing support and ongoing contributions to the community we have all created. We welcome your communications and comments at any time.

With best wishes,

Sean Quimby
Chair, ArchivesSpace Board of Governance,
Associate University Librarian for Special Collections,
Director of the Jay I. Kislak Center, &
Director of the Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies
University of Pennsylvania Libraries
3420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206