[Archivesspace_Users_Group] PUI Ordering and Sorting Issue

Andrew Morrison andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 28 03:46:30 EDT 2022

Are you using the built-in Solr search engine that comes with
ArchivesSpace 3.0.1? If so, your sorting problems could be because it
uses a very old version, because newer ones aren't compatible with the
method of embedding it in a bigger application. But there is the option
to configure ArchivesSpace to use an external Solr service:

https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/provisioning/solr.html

That allows you to run a more up-to-date version, which would enable use
of the solr.ICUCollationField class for sort fields. That can be
adjusted to sort different languages according to their own sorting
rules, as described here:

https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_11/language-analysis.html#unicode-collation

ArchivesSpace 3.2.0 removes the built-in Solr, so running an external
Solr service will be necessary if you upgrade in the future.

As for adding the option to sort on identifiers, I don't think there is
a configuration option or simple interface for adding them. But it would
probably be possible to develop a plug-in to override certain Ruby
methods in the core code to do it.

Andrew.