[Archivesspace_Users_Group] "?" being added unexpectedly to Digital Object File URIs

Benn Joseph benn.joseph at northwestern.edu
Wed Apr 6 12:03:09 EDT 2022

Hi all,
We just discovered something unexpected when creating Digital Object Instances, which is that when a DO Instance is constructed without a thumbnail URL--i.e. the DO Instance just has a single file version and it's the link to the actual thing-ArchivesSpace adds a "?" to the end of that URL when a user clicks on it in the public interface. For instance, if the File URI is "http://www.cnn.com", then clicking this link in the PUI will take you to "http://www.cnn.com/?" .

The CNN website still works with that question mark, but when we use an ARK to link to a record in our digital repository,

"https://n2t.net/ark:/81985/n2dr2rt09"

becomes

"https://n2t.net/ark:/81985/n2dr2rt09?"
...which is an entirely separate page.

Is this a bug, or is this supposed to be happening? If it's a bug I can submit a ticket. We're on version 2.8.1.

Thanks,
--Benn

Benn Joseph (he/him/his)
Head, Collections Services
McCormick Library of Special Collections & University Archives
Northwestern University Libraries
Northwestern University
www.library.northwestern.edu
benn.joseph at northwestern.edu<mailto:benn.joseph at northwestern.edu%0d>