[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Advice/best practice/pitfalls to avoid with implementing assessment records

Natalie Adams na207 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 26 11:44:04 EDT 2021

Dear all,

I'm writing to pick your brains about recommendations for using assessment records in a fairly large team (approx. 15 members of staff). We are excited about the potential of using assessment records as an essential tool for joined-up collection management and much better informed prioritisation of our work.

We've started experimenting with assessment records and this has led to a few questions about how best to use them.

  1.  Is it a good approach to set up one assessment record for a particular 'issue' or theme (e.g. to group information about collections where historic language in catalogues needs review; or to group information about material that might be suitable for a specific exhibition)?
  2.  Is it better to create separate assessment records that are specific to each collection or accession and record all the issues specific to that collection (repackaging requirements, physical condition)?
  3.  Would it work better to give one member of the team responsibility for overseeing assessment records to keep oversight of the issues being recorded or to share responsibility across the team?
  4.  Do you have any advice about using or searching your assessment records data- e.g. outputting them as CSV files or generate information from them in reports?

I would be very grateful for any advice you are willing to share or for pointers to good sources of information.

Thank you very much in advance and best wishes,

Natalie

Natalie Adams
Systems Archivist
Cambridge University Library