[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Locations List Providing Not-Even Close Results?

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 31 09:41:27 EDT 2021

This issue keeps coming up and the solution usually involves adjusting the
"default sort column" and "default sort direction" in the appropriate
section in the settings (in this case it would be "Location Profile Browse
Columns" I think). We had this same problem and adjusting these values
worked for us, but other people have reported that it didn't.

There are 3 levels of settings (Global, Repository and User) that should
override one another. Here's what it says in the User Guide:

> Global Preferences – Edit these values to set your system-wide
> preferences. These values can be overridden by repository default or by
> your own preferences for a repository.
> Repository Preferences – Edit these values to set your user preferences
> for this repository. These values can be overridden by user preferences.
> User Preferences – Edit these values to set user preference defaults for
> the current repository. These values cannot be overridden.

In my experience, this doesn't work as smoothly as advertised, but in
theory this is how it should work.

Given how frequently this problem has been reported, and the impact it has
on people's workflows, I think this issue (using preference settings to
adjust sort order in lists) is in desperate need of documentation.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 8:43 AM ABNEY, ANN C <aabney at mailbox.sc.edu> wrote:

> Morning all -
>

> We’re using 2.8.1 and recently I’ve been having trouble adding locations.
> Our numbering convention is Row: #, Compartment: #, Shelf: #. In the manage
> top containers tab for a specific resource, usually I’ll search to add a
> location with that format. But lately, even if I put the full name of the
> location (with repository, floor, etc.) I’m getting lots of extraneous
> results.
>

> For example, I was searching for “Row: 61, Compartment: 6, Shelf: 1” I got
> results including from Row 2, Compartment 1, Shelf 6, and then a whole list
> of every shelf in Row 61 from Compartments 1-4 until the list cut off. If I
> search via browse, I get the same results and usually have to click through
> to the second page. As I said before, this even happens if I copy word for
> word a previous location already linked.
>

> Am I searching wrong? Is it a bug? I haven’t had this problem in past
> iterations so I have no idea what’s going on.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Ann
>

> *Ann Abney, CA*
>
> She/her/hers
>
> Special Projects Archivist
>
> South Carolina Political Collections
>
> University of South Carolina Libraries
>
> https://sc.edu/libraries/scpc
>
> aabney at mailbox.sc.edu

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries