[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Indexed - but still some issues

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 24 12:55:26 EDT 2021

I'm doing this exact thing right now and I wanted to confirm that the 'g'
here shouldn't be an 'm':
ASPACE_JAVA_XSS="-Xss1g"

The default looks to be:
ASPACE_JAVA_XSS="-Xss2m"
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/launcher/archivesspace.sh#L105

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:43 AM Tom Hanstra <hanstra at nd.edu> wrote:

> Hmmm. So I finally tracked the issue down to my Java settings. For some
> reason, before/during indexing, Java settings of:
>
>     ASPACE_JAVA_XMX="-Xmx8192m"
>     ASPACE_JAVA_XSS="-Xss4g"
>
> worked fine. But, once indexing was complete, those settings were somehow
> unusable. Staff connection would not work, searches failed, etc.
>
> But when I crank down the thread size to:
>
>    ASPACE_JAVA_XMX="-Xmx8192m"
>    ASPACE_JAVA_XSS="-Xss1g"
>
> everything goes back to working. There was a server reboot in there as
> well as numerous restarts with config.rb changes and that was the only
> change that I found could address the issues. Through a number of restarts,
> there was nothing in the logs to indicate the issue. Finally got an error
> that suggested Java space issues and tried the lower value and things now
> work (as far as I've tested at least).
>
> Quite a journey so far...
>
> Tom
>

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 9:54 AM Peter Heiner <ph448 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Tom Hanstra wrote on 2021-03-24 09:25:24:
>> > So, I am now further than I've been yet, at least based upon the logs.
>> But
>> > I still have something not working properly, because when I do a search
>> and
>> > find output, nothing is coming up when I try to look at the found
>> record. I
>> > get the error:
>> >
>> > *We're sorry, but something went wrong.*
>> >
>> > When I've seen that in other applications, it has been a rails issue.
>> Not
>> > sure if that is what is happening here as well.
>>
>> This error should have a corresponding event with at least WARNING level
>> in
>> the frontend/public log (depending on which gave you the error) that you
>> can
>> correlate by event time.
>>
>> > Also, the "Found In" links for the records come back with:
>> >
>> > *The record you've tried to access does not exist or may have been
>> > removed.The record you've tried to access does not exist or may have
>> been
>> > removed.*
>>
>> This would point to the fact that your database and index are not in sync.
>> Given your struggles with indexing I'm starting to wonder if you're
>> reading
>> from the Solr instance you're writing to.

> --
> *Tom Hanstra*
> *Sr. Systems Administrator*
> hanstra at nd.edu

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries