[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Ground Up Top Container work

Susan Aprill saprill at kingstonpubliclibrary.org
Wed Aug 18 16:31:56 EDT 2021

Hi Jessica,
It is a reasonable thing to do!

I had to do it when I first started, then again when I moved the
collections to a different building. I mapped with sticky notes until it
made sense: range letters where I could see them from inside the stacks and
out, shelf numbers in a consistent spot on the shelves. Then I got out the
sharpie.

Locations are a sort of different layer in ASpace. You don't have to do it
by hand: go to Create > Location > Create  Bulk Locations.

Here's my end result, where coordinate label 1 is the range letter and
coordinate indicator 1 is the shelf number.

[image: image.png]

I don't know how the MARC import would look in ASpace. I can tell you,
though, that when I create a bunch of top containers, I only put in
indicator and container type, because it's automagically linked to the
Resource, Accession, or whatever the instance belongs to, and these great
Bulk Operations can be done in Manage Top Containers.
[image: image.png]

Good luck!
Susan

Susan Aprill, Archivist