[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - September 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Wed Sep 30 10:30:43 EDT 2020

  [cid:image001.jpg at 01D69714.BFB664B0]

ArchivesSpace Update – September 2020

Development

We're continuing to work toward the next release of ArchivesSpace. The major focus of work right now is finishing up expanding the agents module. We're also working on enhancements to the spreadsheet importer, reviewing some substantial community pull requests, and gem upgrades.

Position Announcement: ArchivesSpace Technical Lead

We are seeking an energetic and collaborative person to join our team as the next Technical Lead for ArchivesSpace. The Technical Lead is responsible for oversight, management, and development of the ArchivesSpace application. The Technical Lead works with a wide-ranging group of community stakeholders and is responsible for the overall development of the software and management of the community-based code contribution process. The Technical Lead works to engage a broad set of developers to participate in the project, providing technical guidance, support and leadership to maintain a robust developer community.

This position is part of a geographically distributed team, and, as such, applications from candidates interested in telecommuting are welcome.

To learn more, or to submit your resume and cover letter, please visit https://lyrasis.isolvedhire.com/jobs/145014.html.

Applications accepted until position is filled but review of applications will begin October 16, 2020.

Participate in Hacktoberfest 2020

This October, ArchivesSpace will be participating in Hacktoberfest<https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/>, a month-long celebration of open source software run by DigitalOcean. Hacktoberfest is open to anyone who contributes pull requests to participating open source repositories on GitHub.

Whether you’re new to ArchivesSpace development or a long-time contributor, we encourage you to get involved. No specific background or skill level is required to get started, and all community contributions are welcome and appreciated. To learn more about submitting a pull request for ArchivesSpace specifically, visit our wiki.<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/39682053/Submitting+a+Pull+Request>

To qualify for the official Hacktoberfest competition, you must register and make four pull requests between October 1-31. Pull requests can be made to any public repository on GitHub, including ArchivesSpace<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace>.  Any qualifying pull request submitted to the ArchivesSpace GitHub<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace> between October 1 and October 31 will get a Hacktoberfest label.  To learn more about qualifying pull requests and how to notify Hacktoberfest of your pull requests, visit the official Hacktoberfest website<https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/faq>.

In addition to the official Hacktoberfest swag options, ArchivesSpace will acknowledge all submitters, regardless of number of pull requests, in our October monthly update. The community member who submits the most pull requests in the month of October will receive an ArchivesSpace swag bag!

We hope you will join us in getting involved in this celebration of the open source community. Please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> if you have questions or want to know more about contributing code to the ArchivesSpace GitHub<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace>. To learn more about Hacktoberfest, visit their official website<https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/>.

Take a Break with ArchivesSpace is going on hiatus after October 30

Thanks to everyone who has joined us at our standing Friday break calls since we started them in March. Whether you came to one call or 20, it’s been great getting to know so many of you better and sharing ArchivesSpace and non-ArchivesSpace thoughts.

With schedules always so unpredictable at the end of the year, this year more than ever, Take a Break with ArchivesSpace is going on hiatus after our October 30th call. We may revive the breaks in some form in the future, but until then we look forward to seeing you at many other ArchivesSpace activities.

If you’d like to join us for the remaining calls, you can find the connection information at https://archivesspace.org/archives/6177.

ArchivesSpace Consultant Registry

As the ArchivesSpace user community continues to grow, we occasionally hear from people wanting individualized help beyond what membership or volunteer peer-to-peer guidance can provide. Typical needs include migrating data from a legacy database, custom interface work, one-on-one user training, or deploying an ArchivesSpace server. Often these requests come from people who aren’t interested in hosting options, or can’t pursue bringing a full workshop to their regional area.

To help in these kinds of situations, the ArchivesSpace program maintains an informal registry of individuals interested in providing independent consulting services related to ArchivesSpace. Please note that our involvement is for informational purposes only. Consultants and potential clients work out any details of projects and costs amongst themselves.

Interested in being a consultant?

If you know of someone who would like to be listed, or would like to be listed yourself, please email Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org> with the following information.

  *   Location
  *   Services
  *   Experience with ArchivesSpace
  *   Best way for prospective clients to get in touch with you and/or see examples of your work

Affiliation with an ArchivesSpace member institution is not required for an individual to be listed in the registry.  You can elect to remove yourself from the registry at any time.

Interested in finding a consultant?

If you are interested in working with a consultant, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>. We’ll be glad to send you the current registry.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since August 31 include:

  *   Lambda Archives of San Diego (San Diego, CA)
  *   The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art (New York, NY)

As of September 30, we have 416 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]