[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Agent records in ArchivesSpace and compound or hyphenated surnames

Lara Friedman-Shedlov ldfs at umn.edu
Wed Jul 22 12:40:56 EDT 2020

I don't know anything about the UK rules for this, so I'm curious,
especially as a person with a hyphenated last name.  I consider that the
primary part of my name is "Friedman-Shedlov," NOT "Shedlov," and if I were
creating an agent record for my name, my understanding is that the primary
part would indeed by "Friedman-Shedlov," going by the rules we use here in
the U.S.  However, it is definitely more ambiguous with compound names that
are not hyphenated.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:06 AM Natalie Adams <na207 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Matthew and Daniel,
>
> Many thanks for replying so quickly.
>
> Matthew- could you share details of how Violet Bonham Carter's agent
> record is constructed in your staff interface?
>
> Daniel- the issue with the UK's NCA Rules is that the primary part of the
> name is the final element of a compound or hyphenated surname (Carter in
> Matthew's example). I wanted to check we'd be right to construct an agent
> record like this:-
>
> Primary part of name: Carter
> Rest of name: Helen Violet Bonham
>
> Not
> Primary part of name: Bonham Carter
> Rest of name: Helen Violet
>
> A sanity check with the listserv would be reassuring!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Natalie
>

> Natalie Adams
> Systems Archivist
> Cambridge University Library

Lara D. Friedman-Shedlov    (she / they)
Description and Access Archivist | Kautz Family YMCA Archives |
www.lib.umn.edu/ymca
Digital Records Archivist | Archives & Special Collections |
www.lib.umn.edu/special
University of Minnesota Libraries | lib.umn.edu | 612.626.7972