[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace and OCLC Digital Gateway

Kevin W. Schlottmann kws2126 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 24 16:22:52 EDT 2020

Dear Michelle,

I think you are looking for something along the lines of an automatically
generated URL being included in the export.  While this may not be exactly
that, I share our setup, because we also need URLs published via OAI.  For
legacy reasons Columbia has a wide range of URLs that lead to finding
aids.  We place these URLs into the EAD Location field of the resource
record. In the EAD export, I believe that value is written to the <eadid>
element, in the url attribute.

We needed the same thing for MARC, so our hosting provider Lyrasis has
created a custom mapping for our MARC records, which takes the EAD Location
and maps it to the MARC 856 field. (Code here:
https://github.com/lyrasis/columbia-marc-exporter/blob/master/backend/model/columbia-marc21-overrides.rb
)

Alternately, I note that in the OAI feed, the header tag includes an ASpace
identifier along these lines:

<identifier>oai:columbia//repositories/2/resource/672</identifier>

which could possibly be transformed into a usable URL.

Best,

Kevin

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:39 PM Michelle Echols <
michelle.echols at mail.wvu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are looking to make our ArchivesSpace finding aids discoverable in
> WorldCat. We are hoping to set up our ArchivesSpace OAI-PMH to communicate
> with the Digital Collections Gateway. Our Systems team has created a base
> OAI-PMH url, but the records it pulls do not include an actionable URL
> identifier that points to the finding aids. Has anyone run into this
> problem and devised a solution to include urls that link to our
> ArchivesSpace finding aids?
>
> One potential solution we found would be to generate Archival Resource
> Keys (ARKs)
> https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ArchivesSpaceUserManual/pages/919502964/Archival+Resource+Keys+ARKs
>
> Has this or another solution worked for anyone using both ArchivesSpace
> and the Digital Gateway?
>
> Thank you for any help,
>
> Michelle Echols
>
> */ **Michelle Echols*