[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Top Containers for volumes

Maureen Callahan mcallahan at smith.edu
Wed Feb 13 17:06:33 EST 2019

A different direction!

I've noticed that we often get in trouble when there's a conflation between
archival/bibliographic description and collection control, particularly
because those descriptors fundamentally serve different purposes and can
even change over time -- sometimes at cross purposes. So I would say that
your best bet would be to think carefully about the purpose the volume
number serves. When you say that these are in two series, is that a
designation made by the publisher/author? Or is it just an organizing
principle imposed by past archivists? Because I think that there are much
better ways of saying that volumes belong together than using volume
numbers, and I also think that whenever possible it's best to keep
inventory management simple and just number widgets seriatim.

MC

Maureen Callahan
Sophia Smith Collection Archivist
Smith College Special Collections
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063
413 585 2981
mcallahan at smith.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Smith College Special Collections is now housed at Young Library
<https://www.smith.edu/libraries/about/new-neilson/wheres-my-library>.
Learn more about renovations to Neilson Library here
<https://www.smith.edu/libraries/about/new-neilson>.