[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Proc {} in config.rb. [was: Archivesspace dropping https in Staff UI]

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at virginia.edu
Fri Aug 30 11:07:34 EDT 2019

No proc {} wrapper needed for a literal string.

The proc is creating a code block or procedure that will be run to get the value, and it’s purpose is to defer assignment,
Typically where the AppConfig assignment is based on another value from AppConfig.
That way, if a variable is changed from it’s default in config.rb, the dependent variable will also be changed.

For example, from config-defaults.rb:

AppConfig[:db_max_connections] = proc { 20 + (AppConfig[:indexer_thread_count] * 2) }

I have used proc {} wrapped around assignments in my config.rb , but I’m not sure that usage is even necessary:
Now that I think about it, it may only be needed in config-defaults to pick up changes added to config.rb .
Once config.rb is being executed, there is already an AppConfig created with those defaults, and as long as
your additions to config.rb are sequential, I don’t think the proc matters most* of the time.

(*)  ‘most of the time’ :

Where I have needed it is in adding:

AppConfig[:hostname] = { Socket.gethostname }
# …
AppConfig[:public_proxy_url] = proc { "http://#{AppConfig[:hostname]}:8081” }

To use actual host names instead of localhost for proxy urls.
But I believe that is mostly needed to defer execution until initialization has imported Socket module,
Because elsewhere I also assign AppConfig[:environment] to either :production or :development
And use that in conditionals within my config.rb .
( if :production, then it’s using assigned VHOST names and https: in those proxy settings instead of AppConfig[:hostname] )

So I’m thinking I was under the influence of some fuzzy thinking about the initialization process when I wrote my config.rb code.
It all works as is, but now that I try to reason about it, it’s a bit off!

— Steve.