[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - August 2019

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Aug 30 11:37:06 EDT 2019

ArchivesSpace August 2019 Update
Development

We are getting close to having a release candidate available for the work we've been doing on some needed infrastructure improvements for the application and making recording language information more standards-compliant in this area. The release candidate will also have some bug fixes and small feature enhancements. Look for an announcement in September.

Are you interested in helping make the ArchivesSpace application better for the community by contributing code for small bug fixes and features? Our Development Prioritization sub-team recently worked with the program team to launch a Ready for Community Developer<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/issues/?filter=13633> status to make it easier to identify JIRA issues that are especially appropriate for community contributions. Development Prioritization sub-team leaders Lydia Tang and Maggie Hughes presented about it at our Annual Member Forum in Austin earlier this month: https://youtu.be/qK84vgmS66<https://youtu.be/qK84vgmS66I> . You can also reach out to Christine Di Bella (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) or Laney McGlohon (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>) for more information about how to get involved with working on these issues.

Fifth Annual Member Forum Survey and Recordings Now Available!

Thank you to all who attended the 5th Annual Member Forum at the Thompson Conference Center in Austin, Texas!  It was a lively event with 95 attendees and presentations from 21 individuals from ArchivesSpace member institutions and the ArchivesSpace program team.  It was also our first Annual Forum with attendees from our international member community! And a special thank you to all of you who joined us after the forum for our joint reception with Archive-It.

In order to make next year’s forum in Chicago even better, we hope you will take the time to complete our post forum survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7JC3SZR>.  You do not have to have attended the forum in Austin to complete this survey.

All recorded sessions and presentation slides are also now available on the ArchivesSpace wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/863436816/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2019>.

Community Open Call: September 18th at 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT)

Please join us for our next community open call on Zoom on September 18th at 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT). This is an opportunity to talk informally about ideas you’ve had, challenges you’ve encountered, or news you’d like to share. This might be an especially good chance to talk about non-technical questions or ideas that you weren’t quite sure about posting on the Users Group listserv but really would like help with from us or your peers. Information on how to join the call can be found on the ArchivesSpace blog<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5617>.

We have a pre-survey<https://forms.gle/xBEtGaHuXKrffFUT7> to help generate discussion topics prior to the call. Please submit your suggestions by Tuesday, September 17th.

Upcoming Webinar: Introducing the PBSpace Plugin

September 26th, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT)

Visit the ArchivesSpace Blog for details.<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5645>

Jason Corum will explore the new PBSpace plugin, available via github: https://github.com/WGBH-MLA/pbspace. PBCore<http://pbcore.org/> is a data model for the description of audiovisual content.  The PBSpace plugin adds new properties and object relationships in the application so that PBCore structure, elements, and attributes can be better represented in ArchivesSpace. Jason will discuss a little about what PBCore is and who uses it, the process of developing the plugin, and demonstrate the plugin itself and how it can be used to extend description of audiovisual content in ArchivesSpace.

The WGBH Media Library and Archives developed PBSpace<https://github.com/WGBH-MLA/pbspace>, which has been made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor. Development of the PBSpace plugin was part of the Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) Conference’s Hack Day in 2018.

Presenter:

Jason Corum is a coder and artist based in Los Angeles, CA. After a 10-year career in online communications with organizations like the Biotechnology Industry Organization, the Brookings Institution, and World Food Program USA, Jason decided to build cool online tools rather than manage them. Through self-education and a backend web development course, Jason transitioned to a career in web development and is now a developer with the WGBH Media Library and Archives (https://www.wgbh.org/foundation/what-we-do/media-library-and-archives). At WGBH, Jason works on the American Archive of Public Broadcasting (http://americanarchive.org/), OpenVault from WGBH (http://openvault.wgbh.org/), Fix It + (http://fixitplus.americanarchive.org/), as well as a Samvera-based archival management system.

New Listserv for Small Archives and Lone Arrangers

We are pleased to announce the creation of a new ArchivesSpace member listserv dedicated to the needs and conversations of ArchivesSpace users who are lone arrangers or working at small archives. You do not need to be from an institution at the Very Small or Small membership level to participate in this listserv, and those from the Very Small and Small membership levels are welcome to participate in other member listservs. The intended purpose of this listserv, however, is to serve as a forum where lone arrangers or archivists from smaller archives may communicate with each other to share techniques and strategies for using ArchivesSpace with consideration for the particular challenges that smaller institutions face. This listserv was created based on feedback received by the community in surveys and at forums, particularly the conversations had by people from the Small and Very Small member institutions at past Annual Member Forums.

As with all ArchivesSpace member listservs, this list is open only to staff at ArchivesSpace member organizations. As such, email addresses should be registered to the institution from which the person is qualified as an ArchivesSpace member. Email addresses registered to Gmail, Hotmail, and the like will not be subscribed to the list.

Annual Report

The ArchivesSpace team is pleased to share the annual report covering the 2018/2019 membership term<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5632>. This digital document celebrates our community’s many activities and accomplishments during the past year and provides some information on what’s planned for the future. Thanks to all of our members for all you’ve done and do to sustain and move the application and the program forward!

Windows Installer: Testers Needed!

Do you use Windows, either on your personal computer or for your institution’s ArchivesSpace server? We are looking for people to test a new tool aimed at making installing or upgrading ArchivesSpace on Windows easier. The tool is available at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace-installer/releases/tag/v1.0.0-beta.

The instructions are linked from within the installer and also at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace-installer/blob/master/README.md. This tool is in beta and should only be used for a new installation or a backup of your existing installation.

Please contact Christine (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) with feedback. We’d like to get a sense of whether it’s helpful, any gaps in the tool or the instructions for how to use it, and other ideas people have for making installing or upgrading ArchivesSpace easier on Windows.

Thanks to everyone in the community who has offered feedback about ArchivesSpace and Windows so far, and a big thank you to Sarah Morrissey for working on this tool.

Want to be an ArchivesSpace Consultant?

As the ArchivesSpace user community continues to grow, we occasionally hear from people wanting individualized help beyond what membership or volunteer peer-to-peer guidance can provide. Typical needs include migrating data from a legacy database, custom interface work, one-on-one user training, or deploying an ArchivesSpace server. Often these requests come from people who aren’t interested in hosting options, or can’t pursue bringing a full workshop to their regional area.

To help in these kinds of situations, the ArchivesSpace program maintains an informal registry of individuals interested in providing independent consulting services related to ArchivesSpace. Please note that our involvement is for informational purposes only. Consultants and potential clients work out any details of projects and costs amongst themselves.

Interested in being a consultant?

If you know of someone who would like to be listed, or would like to be listed yourself, please email Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org> with the following information.

  *   Location
  *   Services
  *   Experience with ArchivesSpace
  *   Best way for prospective clients to get in touch with you and/or see examples of your work

Affiliation with an ArchivesSpace member institution is not required for an individual to be listed in the registry.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since July 31 include:

  *   Chung Ying Theatre Company (Hong Kong)
  *   Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
  *   Folger Shakespeare Library (Washington, DC)
  *   The Citadel (Charleston, SC)
  *   University of Georgia (Athens, GA)
  *   University of North Carolina at Pembroke (Pembroke, NC)

As of August 29, we have 398 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.