[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update – June 2018

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Fri Jun 29 20:00:33 EDT 2018

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

June 2018 Update

We are excited to share exciting community updates, including updates on the upcoming 4th annual Member Forum. We’re pleased to welcome new members to our three governance groups for terms that begin July 1.  New stories are up on the blog, and we have another great webinar coming up next month! Read on for more news!

Development

ArchivesSpace is announcing the availability of v2.4.1. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.4.1.

This minor release fixes a bug introduced in 2.4.0 that affected searching by date in the public user interface. Thank you to Mark Custer for identifying the issue so that our developers could quickly address it. The release also contains two community contributions related to the backend, for which we thank James Bullen and Chris Fitzpatrick.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace<http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace/> . If you have not yet upgraded to 2.4.0, we recommend going directly to 2.4.1. Also, if you are not currently using the public user interface, you may want to skip this release and wait for our next, larger release, which we expect to come in late July. The fixes in this release will also be included in that one.

The deadline to submit community pull requests for consideration for the July 2018 release is July 20. Pull requests submitted after July 20 will be considered for a future release.

Annual Member Forum: August 14, 2018, in Washington D.C.

Thanks to all who shared presentation ideas, workshop topics, and discussion suggestions. The planning group is reviewing the submissions to ensure that the program covers the diverse spread of topics suggested by our community.

We received a number of topic suggestions from the community. Please take a look at the list of suggested topics (http://archivesspace.org/archives/3038) these and let us know via the ideas form<https://goo.gl/forms/6L9UsylUz5u2Ws5n1> if you would like to help lead a session. We appreciate a submission by July 6 so that we can get the program squared away as soon as possible. You will receive a response from the working group by July 13.

  *   Location: ArchivesSpace will be holding its fourth annual Member Forum on August 14, 2018 at the Josephine Butler Parks Center in Washington, DC. Washington Parks & People is the capital’s hub for activating public lands & waters for broad community revitalization, with a mission to grow city-wide park-based community health & vitality by nurturing innovation & partnerships. We are thrilled to have our annual forum held at this location.
  *   Program: More information on the developing program is on the ArchivesSpace wiki at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2018.
  *   Registration: Registration for the Member Forum will open in early July.
  *   Reception: This year we’re excited to join forces with our friends at Archive-It<https://archive-it.org/> to co-host a reception that will bring our partner communities together. Join us at the Conservation Pavilion at the National Zoo from 5-7 PM for drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and good times! More information is available here: http://archivesspace.org/archives/3025

Just as in previous years, this will be a free opportunity for staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions to meet and share information with each other and the program team about all things ArchivesSpace. If you have any questions or other suggestions at this point, please feel free to email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Webinars

Past: Transforming XLS to EAD: Importing Component Hierarchies

Thanks to all who joined us for the Transforming XLS to EAD: Importing Component Hierarchies<http://archivesspace.org/archives/3016> webinar on June 27. Special thanks to our presenters Elizabeth Perkes (Utah State Archives), Jason Ronallo (North Carolina State University), Ben Johnson (Harvard Business School), and Kelly Spring (East Carolina University).

Resources from the webinar are now available: http://archivesspace.org/archives/3045

Upcoming: Webinar: Reports Refactored, July 31, 1-1:30pm ET (10-10:30am PT)

Please save the date for our next upcoming webinar. Sarah Morrissey, our Georgia Tech co-op student, has taken on the task of refactoring and improving reports in ArchivesSpace.

Sarah took the lead on this project under the supervision of and in collaboration with Tech Lead Laney McGlohon, as well as the recommendations contributed by the Reports sub-team.

Formal announcement, including webinar viewing link, to follow. If you have any questions, please contact Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>. We look forward to seeing you at the webinar!

Open Members Call on Zoom, July 26, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT)

Please save the date for our next informal open call, coming up on July 26 at 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT). Open calls provide an opportunity to hear updates from each other and encourage group discussion. It’s a space to surface news, ideas, and challenges. You will be able to join by either computer or phone.

An announcement with call in details will be sent out shortly, along with a pre-survey to generate discussion topics. Please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org> if you have any questions. We look forward to “seeing” you there!

Regional Forum Updates

ArchivesSpace regional forums are opportunities for our diverse ArchivesSpace members to meet up more locally to share and learn from each other through program content shaped by the community.

Past: SoCal Regional Forum: June 28, 2018 at University of California, Irvine

Thanks to all who attended and made the SoCal Regional Forum such a lively event!

  *   Notes & presentation slides: Links to the notes and presentation slides are up on the wiki: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/533168147/SoCal+Regional+Forum
  *   Sharing notes & photos: Do you have notes or photos to share? Please feel free to add them to this google drive folder: https://goo.gl/eunPRr

A very special thank you to UCI Libraries for generously sponsoring this forum!

Please watch for announcements of future regional forums starting in the fall. If you have any questions or ideas about regional forums, feel free to email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org.

New Stories on the Blog

In All About Community (http://archivesspace.org/category/all-about-community/<http://archivesspace.org/archives/category/all-about-community>), Margaret Hughes (Collections Data Archivist, UCLA) introduces the Awesome ArchivesSpace, an awesome list compiled by the Awesome ArchivesSpace Working Group. This is a continuation of a series looking into the various sub-teams of the Technical Advisory Council and User Advisory Council to provide insight into the variety of activities and initiatives undertaken by these groups.

We would love to include your ArchivesSpace stories on the blog! If you would like to contribute, please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Governance Updates

We’re pleased to welcome new members to our three governance groups for terms that begin July 1.

Governance Board

  *   Cynthia Ghering, Director, University Archives, Michigan State University (Very Large member representative)
  *   Kat Stefko, Associate Librarian for Discovery, Digitization and Special Collections and Director of the George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College (Small member representative)

User Advisory Council

  *   Kevin Clair, University of Denver
  *   Angela White, Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis
  *   William Modrow, Miami University of Ohio
  *   Kate Blalack, Woody Guthrie Center
  *   Terra Gullings, University of Texas at Tyler
  *   Julia Novakovic, The Strong
  *   Adrienne Harling, San Francisco Symphony
  *   Joshua Shaw, Dartmouth College

Technical Advisory Council

  *   Greg Wiedeman, University of Albany
  *   Bria Parker, University of Maryland
  *   Alicia Detelich, Yale University
  *   Jared Campbell, University of California, Davis
  *   Edgar Garcia, Northwestern University
  *   Dave Mayo, Harvard University

Best wishes to all as we welcome our representatives to their new roles and look ahead to the coming year. More information about ArchivesSpace governance is on our website at http://archivesspace.org/governance-board-and-councils.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since May 31 include:

  *   Federal Bank of Boston (Boston, MA)
  *   National Archives at Riverside (Riverside, CA)
  *   University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, IN)

As of June 29, we have 364 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

Renewals Update

Membership renewals for the 2018-2019 membership term have been prepared this month and all current members should have received an invoice for next year. Invoices were sent to the billing contact we have on file, with a copy to Member Representatives as well.

Thank you for your continued support of ArchivesSpace. We really appreciate all you do to shape ArchivesSpace so that we are always growing and learning, both as an application as well as a community. If you have any questions about your membership, please let us know at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.