[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Archival Objects not showing in the tree - was 2.1.2 re-indexing issue

Joshua D. Shaw Joshua.D.Shaw at dartmouth.edu
Tue Sep 26 09:05:01 EDT 2017

Hey all-

Just wanted to let everyone know what the issue was for me and the solution.

It turns out that the publish column in the archival objects table allows NULL values. Most of our AOs were NULL in that column. The bit of code that is partially responsible for building the tree (backend<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/tree/master/backend>/app<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/tree/master/backend/app>/model<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/tree/master/backend/app/model>/large_tree.rb) checks for published status (line 74). Its only checking for 0 or 1 in the publish column and so anything that is NULL gets ignored completely - hence the reason why the AOs weren't showing in the tree.

I checked this by doing a quick SQL command to convert the NULL values to 0 and re-indexing and the AO's showed as expected. I'll be putting in a JIRA ticket for the bug in large_tree, since it should allow for NULL as the table definition includes that option.

Joshua