[Archivesspace_Users_Group] RFP for added container management functionality in ArchivesSpace

Maureen Callahan mcallahan at smith.edu
Fri Oct 6 09:36:26 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to chime in to echo Alicia's excitement about most of these
changes and express my own concern about AR-1874.

It's hard to imagine, from a collections control perspective, the advantage
of having free-floating top containers not associated with intellectual
information. Even if you have a true "mystery box" in your repository that
has indecipherable scrawled sharpie on it (we've all been there, I AM
there, I feel you), I think that it would be more valuable to associate
this with an accession or resource record that explains that this is a true
mystery and where you can record the steps that you've already taken to
decipher it. Otherwise, you can't tell whether it's a lost/mystery box or
if it was just somehow unlinked from the resource/accession record it
belongs to.

Something I find valuable about ArchivesSpace is that as a system, it
forces a minimum of best archival practices -- for instance, a resource
record reinforces the DACS single-level minimum element set, top containers
won't let you repeat barcodes, etc. I think that those of us who have
participated in collection survey / remediation / backlog projects would
definitely appreciate a system that forces at least some association
between the stuff and where it came from.

Thanks!
Maureen

Maureen Callahan
Sophia Smith Collection Archivist
Smith College Special Collections
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063
T. 413 585 2981 C. 215.863.1860
mcallahan at smith.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SophiaSmithCollection/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smithlibraries/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/archivalagents

*Please note*. Smith College Special Collections is now housed at Young
Library
<https://www.smith.edu/libraries/about/new-neilson/wheres-my-library>.
Learn more about renovations to Neilson Library here
<https://www.smith.edu/libraries/about/new-neilson>.