[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ILS and AS

Christie Peterson cpeterson at smith.edu
Mon Nov 27 13:49:34 EST 2017

Hello,

My medium-range plan is that once we turn on the ASpace PUI, we'll include
it in our library's main discovery layer as another area of the "bento"
results layout.

However, I've been told that we need to keep producing MARC records because
otherwise our collections won't get into OCLC/WorldCat. If someone has or
dreams of a method that achieves this goal without the overhead of MARC
record creation and maintenance, I would love to hear more.

Thanks,

Christie Peterson

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 1:07 PM Sarah Horowitz <shorowitz at haverford.edu>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are currently in the planning phases of a project to get all our ASpace
> records into our ILS; implementation will begin this winter. There has been
> a lot of data clean-up to make this possible; we're still trying to come up
> with a work-around for the fact that beyond the first author, the exporter
> throws everything into one 7xx field rather than separating each of them
> out.
>
> This is a very important project for us, as many people are more likely to
> discover our collections through our ILS/discovery layer than through the
> ASpace site itself. I would love to see some support from the Integrations
> team for projects like this.
>
> All the best,
> Sarah
>
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Jason Loeffler <j at minorscience.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Shelley,
>>
>> This topic has been discussed recently in Integrations
>> <https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/17137746/Integrations> meetings,
>> though, given team members current commitments, we temporarily dropped the
>> discussion.
>>
>> At the Academy's New York office, we're currently using a few custom
>> tools to map ArchivesSpace resource component JSON to MARC bibliographic
>> records. The latest version of ArchivesSpace has an OAI-PMH MARC responder.
>> If your ILS has an OAI-PMH client that may be worth exploring. Reconciling
>> subject and named authorities between the two systems is particularly
>> tricky. Happy to discuss this in more detail should the occasion arise.
>>
>> I'm curious to know whether other institutions are grappling with this
>> use case. If there's a critical mass of support, perhaps the Integrations
>> team should take this matter up in the future.
>>
>> Regards, Jason
>>
>> Jason Loeffler
>> Technology Consultant | The American Academy in Rome
>> Minor Science | Application Development & Metadata Strategy
>> Brooklyn, New York
>> jason at minorscience.com
>> (347) 405-0826
>> minorscience (Skype)
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Shelley M. Hayreh <sh2309 at columbia.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello AS community,
>>>
>>> I'm serving on an implementation task-force reviewing how the adoption
>>> of ArchivesSpace might change various workflows currently in place. A
>>> couple of questions have arisen that I'm hoping the AS community can speak
>>> to:
>>>

>>> -Is anyone in the community using ArchivesSpace to populate their
>>> catalog/ILS?
>>>

>>> -Can AS contribute directly to OCLC or ArchivesGrid, therefore bypassing
>>> the ILS?
>>>

>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Shelley
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shelley Hayreh
> [...]
🍂
Christie S. Peterson

Head of Technical Services for Special Collections
Smith College
Northampton, Mass.
413-585-2996
cpeterson at smith.edu