[Archivesspace_Users_Group] upgrading, barcoding, top containers

Maureen Callahan mcallahan at smith.edu
Fri Nov 17 17:35:56 EST 2017

Hi Laura,

I think you're right in your assessment of the situation. If you barcode
containers before you upgrade, the upgrade logic will understand that each
of those 15 box 7s with the same barcode are really the same top container
and you'll end up with just one shared top container. However, I also know
that folks sent around a spec recently to upgrade the application so top
containers can be merged, which means that you wouldn't have to live with
the sad reality of 15 box 7s forever (although I don't know what the
timeline is for that work). In any case, good luck with your barcoding
project!

Maureen

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Laura Taylor <ltaylor6 at une.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We are going to be upgrading from 1.4.2 to [whatever the current version
> will be by the time we upgrade], and we’re having some trouble envisioning
> how the new top containers and barcoding will work in our situation.
> Currently, none of our resources have barcodes, but we would like to add
> them. We’re trying to figure out if it would be best to do it pre-upgrade
> or easier to do it after. It *seems* like it would be quicker and easier
> to do it after, except perhaps for the following: we have many collections
> that live in shared boxes. Say there’s 15 collections in “Box 7.” My
> assumption is that when we upgrade, if they don’t have barcodes, that each
> instance of Box 7 in each of the separate collections will be considered a
> new top container. So, there would be 15 new top containers called Box 7,
> even though it’s just one Box 7. Is that correct? But then, in playing
> around with the sandbox site, I did not see any way to merge them…is that
> possible? We’re just trying to figure out the most efficient way to do
> this, preferably without going into every single instance record
> individually – any advice would be appreciated!
>

> Thank you!
>

> Laura Taylor | Metadata Librarian
>
> Maine Women Writers Collection | University of New England
>
> 716 Stevens Avenue | Portland, Maine 04103
>
> 207.221.4360 <(207)%20221-4360> | ltaylor6 at une.edu
>
> www.une.edu/library

Maureen Callahan
Sophia Smith Collection Archivist
Smith College Special Collections
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063
T. 413 585 2981 C. 215.863.1860
mcallahan at smith.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SophiaSmithCollection/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smithlibraries/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/archivalagents

*Please note*. Smith College Special Collections is now housed at Young
Library
<https://www.smith.edu/libraries/about/new-neilson/wheres-my-library>.
Learn more about renovations to Neilson Library here
<https://www.smith.edu/libraries/about/new-neilson>.