[Archivesspace_Users_Group] upgrading, barcoding, top containers

Laura Taylor ltaylor6 at une.edu
Fri Nov 17 13:14:01 EST 2017

Hi all,

We are going to be upgrading from 1.4.2 to [whatever the current version will be by the time we upgrade], and we’re having some trouble envisioning how the new top containers and barcoding will work in our situation. Currently, none of our resources have barcodes, but we would like to add them. We’re trying to figure out if it would be best to do it pre-upgrade or easier to do it after. It seems like it would be quicker and easier to do it after, except perhaps for the following: we have many collections that live in shared boxes. Say there’s 15 collections in “Box 7.” My assumption is that when we upgrade, if they don’t have barcodes, that each instance of Box 7 in each of the separate collections will be considered a new top container. So, there would be 15 new top containers called Box 7, even though it’s just one Box 7. Is that correct? But then, in playing around with the sandbox site, I did not see any way to merge them…is that possible? We’re just trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this, preferably without going into every single instance record individually – any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Laura Taylor | Metadata Librarian
Maine Women Writers Collection | University of New England
716 Stevens Avenue | Portland, Maine 04103
207.221.4360 | ltaylor6 at une.edu
www.une.edu/library<http://www.une.edu/library>