[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Another barcode question

Tang, Lydia ltang5 at mail.lib.msu.edu
Tue May 2 10:36:40 EDT 2017

Hi all,
Another barcode-related question: we are in the process of adding barcodes to our Top Containers but have two linger questions and I would love to hear your thoughts:

1.      Sometimes our descriptions have spanned across multiple containers (ie: Boxes 7-12).  How are institutions adding their barcodes for these sorts of situations?  I am assuming we’ll go back and create individual top container instances for each box, but it won’t look very elegant…

2.      Our barcoded materials are located in off site storage and we don’t barcode materials on site.  If we try to add the location of “off site,” it requires us to have specific unique information (such as a barcode), but that would either mean we would duplicate the barcode in two places or that we put the barcode information there instead.  My concern there is how well it would interface with request plug ins such as Aeon if the barcode information is not in a designated standardized field.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Lydia