[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Spawning resources

Rachel Aileen Searcy rachel.searcy at nyu.edu
Thu Aug 31 16:52:36 EDT 2017

I'm a little bit late to the party here - typical - but this is something
I've thought about too. Our accessioning workflow involves the creation of
both an accession and resource record for new collections. We still use the
spawning feature because of the information it does automatically carry
over (Title, extent, dates, scope and content note, agents and subjects)
but I'd be keen to see some of the specifics you mention, Christie. I think
the spawning functionality provides a concrete application for iterative
and extensible workflows, and a way to show how we can create archival
description at many different points along the way, so I'd like to make the
most of that. I'd be happy to talk further about this as well - thanks for
raising the issue.

Best,
Rachel

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Tang, Lydia <ltang5 at lib.msu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Yes, it would be something for the Staff Interface Enhancement Working
> Group!  Currently, we are still in the early stages of the group, but would
> be very interested in working with you both (and anyone else), in
> identifying what can be improved and making recommendations on how it can
> be improved.
> This is currently a brainstorm document on new capabilities we’d like to
> see in the Staff Interface.  In there is currently in a very basic form
> some ideas about treating the default presets for Resources/Accessions as
> selectable/merge-able templates.  You all are welcome to add your ideas or
> create a JIRA ticket.  If you go with the JIRA route, please be sure to tag
> it with “staff_interface”  Thanks!
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NLTIBOwRrHdztQli2QvcRgr-
> JAIOXy_5TUXAAR-DRvg/edit?usp=sharing
> Lydia
> --
> Dr. Lydia Tang, CA, DMA, MLIS
> Special Collections Archivist-Librarian
> Philosophy, Aesthetics, and Ethics Bibliographer
> Michigan State University Libraries
>
> From: <archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> on behalf
> of "Michelson, Daniel" <michelsd at union.edu>
> Date: Friday, August 25, 2017 at 10:19 AM
> To: Archivesspace Users Group <archivesspace_users_group@
> lyralists.lyrasis.org>
> Subject: Re: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] Spawning resources
>
> Hi Christie,
> We've run into some of the same issues here at Union College.  Another
> example is that resource records spawned from accessions ignore defaults
> for new resource records.
> Presumably some of these have to do with the difficulty of predicting user
> desires.  To use one of your examples, should the Provenance field in the
> Accessions Module map to the Custodial History Note or the Immediate Source
> of Acquisition Note?
>
> I'm wondering if this type of issue is something within the purview of the
> new Staff Interface Working Group.
> Regards,
>
> Dan Michelson
> Historical Records Project Archivist
> Union College
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Christie Peterson <cpeterson at smith.edu
> <mailto:cpeterson at smith.edu>> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Here at Smith we're currently diving head-first into using ASpace for our
> accessioning and description workflows, and we're going to be making
> healthy use of the spawn resource feature.
>
> There are some things that do not happen in the spawning process that we
> would like -- carrying over things like provenance information,
> machine-actionable restrictions, etc.
>
> I searched Jira and didn't see these as open issues. It feels to me like
> rather than reporting issues one-at-a-time, it might be worthwhile to
> consider a re-examination of the mapping and spawning, and maybe funding
> some work to improve this process.

> [...]

Rachel Searcy
Accessioning Archivist, Archival Collections Management
New York University Libraries
212.998.2539 | rachel.searcy at nyu.edu