[Archivesspace_Users_Group] duplicate <head>'s in EAD export

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Sep 29 17:20:48 EDT 2016

I noticed that importing EAD with this accessrestrict element:

  <accessrestrict>
         <head xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:xtf="http://cdlib.org/xtf">Access Restrictions</head>
  </accessrestrict>

Produces this in ArchivesSpace (1.5.1):

  *
Conditions Governing Access
Persistent ID
ec37b6585f7b376a84ab03fdf54022fd
Label
Access Restrictions
Type
Conditions Governing Access
Publish?
True
Local Access Restriction Type
Sub Notes
     *
Text
<head xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:xtf="http://cdlib.org/xtf">Access Restrictions</head> The collection is without restrictions.
        *   Raw<http://localhost:8080/resources/191#resource_notes__3__subnotes__0__content__raw>
        *   Formatted<http://localhost:8080/resources/191#resource_notes__3__subnotes__0__content__parsed>

Which on export produces this:

<accessrestrict id="aspace_ec37b6585f7b376a84ab03fdf54022fd">
      <head>Access Restrictions</head>
          Restrictions</head> The collection is without restrictions.</p>
    </accessrestrict>

Two problems: duplicate head  and  head wrapped in <p> tag.

Indiscriminate wrapping of content in <p> tags has been a commonly  seen problem.
I’m guessing it’s likely this duplicate <head> issue may occur in other types of notes as well. ( I will look for examples. )

Not sure of the best fix: The duplicate head issue should probably be caught on import. The paragraph wrapping would seem to be an output/serialization problem.

— Steve Majewski