[Archivesspace_Users_Group] duplicate <head>'s in EAD export

Lara Friedman-Shedlov ldfs at umn.edu
Thu Sep 29 17:24:37 EDT 2016

We definitely had lots of duplicate <head>s appear when we imported our
EADs here at the University of Minnesota Libraries.  The pattern seemed to
be that it only happened if there was any attributes inside the <head> tag.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) <
sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> I noticed that importing EAD with this accessrestrict element:
>
>   <accessrestrict>
>          <head xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:xtf="
> http://cdlib.org/xtf">Access Restrictions</head>
>   </accessrestrict>
>

> Produces this in ArchivesSpace (1.5.1):
>

>    - Conditions Governing Access
>    Persistent ID
>    ec37b6585f7b376a84ab03fdf54022fd
>    Label
>    Access Restrictions
>    Type
>    Conditions Governing Access
>    Publish?
>    True
>    Local Access Restriction Type
>    Sub Notes
>    - Text
>       <head xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:xtf="
>       http://cdlib.org/xtf <http://cdlib.org/xtf>">Access
>       Restrictions</head> The collection is without restrictions.
>       - Raw
>          <http://localhost:8080/resources/191#resource_notes__3__subnotes__0__content__raw>
>          - Formatted
>          <http://localhost:8080/resources/191#resource_notes__3__subnotes__0__content__parsed>
>

> Which on export produces this:
>
> <accessrestrict id="aspace_ec37b6585f7b376a84ab03fdf54022fd">
>       <head>Access Restrictions</head>
> http://cdlib.org/xtf" >Access
>           Restrictions</head> The collection is without restrictions.</p>
>     </accessrestrict>

> Two problems: duplicate head  and  head wrapped in <p> tag.
>
> Indiscriminate wrapping of content in <p> tags has been a commonly  seen
> problem.
> I’m guessing it’s likely this duplicate <head> issue may occur in other
> types of notes as well. ( I will look for examples. )
>
> Not sure of the best fix: The duplicate head issue should probably be
> caught on import. The paragraph wrapping would seem to be an
> output/serialization problem.
>

> — Steve Majewski

Lara D. Friedman-Shedlov
Kautz Family YMCA Archives | University of Minnesota Libraries
ldfs at umn.edu |  612.626.7972 | www.lib.umn.edu/ymca | @yarchives