[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Using the Rights sub-records instead of Conditions Governing Access/Use notes?

Maureen Callahan mcallahan at smith.edu
Thu Sep 29 08:43:59 EDT 2016

Hi Jordon,

What version are you all up to? The work that was done by HM and Yale last
year made it possible to encode machine-actionable conditions governing use
and conditions governing access statements, which will then be associated
with containers. A circulation system would be able to tell you, once those
restrictions are encoded, whether a container is restricted. I made a video
about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCDhkbBSng (things may be
slightly different in 1.5.x, but not by much).

MC

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Jordon Steele <jsteele at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I know most of the conversation around the Rights sub-records has been
> limited to digital records, but our analysis suggests that conceptually
> rights sub-records are simply more granular, machine-actionable forms of
> conditions governing access and use notes that apply to both analog and
> digital collections. So we’re considering doing away completely with our
> use of the more general conditions governing access and use notes in favor
> of these more precise rights sub-records. Has anyone else considered or
> done this, or considered it and chose not to? Are we missing something?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Best,
>

> Jordon
>

> Jordon Steele
>
> Hodson Curator of the University Archives
>
> The Sheridan Libraries
>
> Johns Hopkins University
>
> 3400 N Charles St
>
> Baltimore, MD 21218