[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Integration of AS with BePress

Max Eckard eckardm at umich.edu
Mon Oct 3 16:35:07 EDT 2016

Hi Martin,

We discussed this a bit at our last Integration sub-team
<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/AC/2016-09-30+Meeting+notes>
meeting. We'd recommend finding a digital asset management system that
you're happy with (e.g., BePress, or a couple of our members suggested
Islandora, but really any will do--some better than others, of course) and
looking into that. As to your concern about having digital objects and
metadata "separated," I'm sure there's others on this list who would
disagree, but we've at least taken the approach that ArchivesSpace is our
system of record for administrative and descriptive metadata while DSpace
is our system of record for preserving/providing access to digital
objects/packages. While the metadata/objects then are technically
"separated" in different systems, all that really means is that we have two
systems that specialize in different things (and do each of those different
things better than either one of them could do both) that function together
in a coordinated whole. Unique identifiers end up playing a big role in
linking systems together.

One of the best things about ArchivesSpace is the API
<http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/>, which allows you to
easily get data in and out and share it with other systems, so I'd also
look into that.

Hope that helps,
Max