[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Problems working with archival object with large number of direct children

Sally Vermaaten sally.vermaaten at nyu.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:37:56 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

We're running into an issue with a large resource record in ArchivesSpace
and wonder if anyone has experienced a similar issue. In one resource
record, we have a series/archival object with around 19,000 direct
children/archival objects. We've found that:

   - it takes several minutes to open the series in the 'tree' navigation
   view and then, once opened scrolling through series is very slow / laggy
   - it takes a couple of minutes to open any archival object in the series
   in edit mode and
   - it takes a couple of minutes to save changes to any archival object
   within the series

Does anyone else have a similarly large archival object in a resource
record? If so, have you observed the same long load/save time when editing
the component records?

The slow load time does not seem to be affected by memory allocation; we've
tried increasing the speed / size of the server and it seemed to have no
effect. We'd definitely appreciate any other suggestions for how we might
fix or work around the problem.

We also wonder if this performance issue is essentially caused by the
queries being run to generate the UI view - i.e. perhaps in generating the
resource 'tree' view, all data for the whole series (all 19k archival
objects) is being retrieved and stored in memory? If so, we wondered if it
would be possible and would make sense to change the queries running during
tree generation, etc. to only retrieve some batches at a time, lazy loading
style?

Thanks,
Weatherly and Sally

--