[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Agent as Subject

Powers, Susanna S powers at tulane.edu
Mon May 23 09:51:02 EDT 2016

Good morning.    We are in the process of migrating to ArchivesSpace, and I have started to new create records in it.   I have a question about the function of an agent record as a subject.   I am able to create this, but it does not work as I would have expected.

In MARC cataloging of archival collections (my primary work), we will frequently write a 1xx field as well as a 6xx field, indicating that a person or corporate body is both the creator as well as a topic of the collection.    This is important so that researchers will retrieve the name in an author search or a subject search.

In ArchivesSpace, it does not appear to work this way.  That is, a name as subject is not retrieved in a subject search.    I would like to recommend that when someone assigns "agent as subject" that it would be retrieved in a subject search, at least in the public interface.

Thanks and best wishes,

Susanna S. Powers
powers at tulane.edu<mailto:powers at tulane.edu>
Archives Catalog Librarian