[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Digital objects

Jason Loeffler j at minorscience.com
Tue Feb 9 16:48:11 EST 2016

Angela,

We chose to follow the pattern you described in option 1. We've adopted an
explicit hierarchical relationship between resources, archival objects, and
digital objects described here
<https://gist.github.com/minorscience/cdc2ad64b8546fb36535>. Clearly a lot
more opportunity for granularity in one's descriptive system and/or finding
aids.

I tend to agree with Maureen apropos "form following function". That said,
how ArchivesSpace currently displays data is indeed problematic and I
assure you the public UI initiative are open-minded about new ideas. In the
meantime, we simply syndicate the data to a Drupal site via API which gives
us much more freedom and control over exactly how records and displayed.
Much easier for non-archivists to interpret, too.

Regarding the error in your post-script, there was an issue in the AR queue
here <https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1314>. Though the issue
has closed, feel free to record the steps you took to reproduce the bug and
I'll see whether I can replicate. There's also a digital object tag in JIRA
<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1377?jql=labels%20%3D%20digital_objects>
.

Jason

Jason Loeffler
Technology Consultant
The American Academy in Rome
Minor Science | Application Development & Metadata Strategy
Brooklyn, New York

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Callahan, Maureen <maureen.callahan at yale.edu