[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Digital objects

Callahan, Maureen maureen.callahan at yale.edu
Tue Feb 9 16:13:22 EST 2016

Hi Angela,

We’ve been talking a lot about digital objects too, so I’m happy to see this discussion.

My first take is that ArchivesSpace will definitely accommodate whichever way you want to go, but this seems to me to be more of a question governed by DACS principle 7.3 — "Information provided at each level of description must be appropriate to that level." We’ve been thinking of the archival object as the place where description happens, regardless of format, and as instances (container or DO) to be a pointer to the thing described. By this way of thinking, I would absolutely want to associate the digital object with the archival object describing it.

I can understand how the way ArchivesSpace currently displays this data could be confusing, but it’s important to remember that the decisions you make about structure and description will outlast decisions about display. I bet the folks working on the redesign for the public interface could address some of the display concerns you have.

I also think that if you take all of those digital objects and put them into one series-level bucket, it’s going to take a lot of work to sort out which lower-level components describe which digital objects. You may decide to do less granular description (for instance, only describe at the series level) and associate a bunch of containers and digital objects with that series, which could be great, but I don’t know if I would do granular description and then associate the actual stuff described therein at a higher level.

I’m eager to hear what others think.

Maureen