[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Dates

Runyon, Carolyn Carolyn-Runyon at utc.edu
Tue Nov 24 13:12:24 EST 2015

We also enter “undated” in the Expression field; however, we can almost always narrow the date to a reasonable range. Accordingly, we enter Begin and End dates for the range. Sometimes they are the birth and death dates of the creator. Other times, we can make an educated guess. For example, we might enter “circa 1975” in the Expression field, following by 1970 and 1979 in the Begin and End fields respectively. This way, if ArchivesSpace adds the ability to narrow searches by a date or date range, our undated materials will not miss out on discovery. We employ the same strategy in our undated materials in our Digital Commons and CONTENTdm repositories.

All best,
Carolyn

Carolyn Runyon
Assistant Head of Collection Services and Director of Special Collections
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Library
615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN  37403
Carolyn-Runyon at utc.edu<mailto:Carolyn-Runyon at utc.edu>, (423) 425-4503
Dept. 6456, LIB 439D