[Archivesspace_Users_Group] archival object vs. instance?

Matthew J Gorzalski mGorzalski at lib.siu.edu
Fri May 15 12:18:57 EDT 2015

This is difficult to explain in an email but here it goes...

I'm having trouble understanding the relationship between archival object and "instance" as it pertains to creating a finding aid content list.  The confusion stems from my familiarity with Archon's straightforward parent-child relationship hierarchy, which uses established arrangement terminology.  Depending on the collection, creating a series, box, folder, etc. is simply a matter of selecting that option in Archon's Level/Container menu and adjusting the parent-child relationships from there.

In ASpace, as I understand it, I first need to create an archival object and select the level of description.  If it is just a box list, I select "file" for box, title the box, and make the Component Unique Identifier "Box 1."  But then I need to go to the "instance" menu and here is where I actually designate the container type as box, but I'm really just called in Box 1 for a second time in a different menu.  This seems redundant to me, because in the "archival object" data I've already called it Box 1 and given it a title.  Perhaps the interface could be simplified if the Archival Object, Instance, and Date menus were redesigned/merged so that you can create your archival object and designate the container type, titles, and dates right up front instead of having to scroll to the bottom for "instance."  Container type, container title, and dates are the most important fields and the other menus like extent, agents, subjects etc. are added value but not critical in a box/folder list.

MATT GORZALSKI
University Archivist

MORRIS LIBRARY
MAIL CODE 6632