[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Finding aid date

Lora Davis ljdavis at colgate.edu
Mon Oct 20 13:28:15 EDT 2014

Yes, Mark, I should have noted that for a variety of purely local reasons -
budgeting cycles, ending of a fiscal year, sudden important staff
vacancies, institutional desire to go with a hosted option, my own looming
maternity leave, etc. - we opted to migrate before it was 100% ideal for us
to do so.  I used v1.0.9.1 (05-29-2014) of the migrator to complete our
migration on June 6 and I went into labor on June 12.  We went in with eyes
wide open and knew there would be outstanding issues with our migration
that we'd have to address at a later date, but, luckily, as a
small institution (we only had 6 finding aids when I arrived in late 2012)
data correction after the fact is not out of the question.  All of the
instances that lost restriction notes are part of larger partially
processed/in-process collections that are not yet live and still seeing
regular tweaking by our students and staff.

TLDR version: It's ALWAYS best to ensure a complete and accurate migration
and avoid touchups after the fact, but sometimes you have to do things that
are not ideal in order to accomplish a larger goal in this messy world we
live in.  I would fully suspect that this issue has been addressed in later
iterations of the migrator, but cannot comment on that first hand.

Best,

Lora