[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Migration / EAD export testing: preliminary results

Custer, Mark mark.custer at yale.edu
Wed Mar 5 17:12:55 EST 2014

All,

I just wrapped up performing a bit of migration testing from Archivists' Toolkit to ArchivesSpace, and I thought that I would share my results here, even though I'm still going through the details.  Attached are 3 files:

1.       A word document that breaks down my notes into three problem categories:

a.       Migration tool

b.      ArchivesSpace EAD export

c.       ArchivesSpace editing interface / database

2.       An excel document that lists out all of the EAD elements and attribute in a set of 34 EAD files, as exported from Archivists' Toolkit.

3.       An excel document that lists out all of the EAD elements and attribute in a set of 34 EAD files, as exported from ArchivesSpace.

Those last two documents are what I'm still analyzing at this point, but I figured that I'd share the results now in case anyone else is doing their own migration testing right now.  Also, I should say that I did all of my testing with version 1.0.4. of ArchivesSpace and version 1.0.4 (02-11-2014) of the AT Data Migrator tool. That said, I did quickly verify within the ArchivesSpace sandbox that both the "accessrestrict" and "legalstatus" notes are still not being exported into EAD in version 1.0.7.

I've also noted a few irregularities between importing EAD documents vs. using the migration tool.  One example:  when I import an EAD file, the position of the first component, in the "archival_object" table, is never 0 but generally 1. I suppose that this is because it's counting the number of children element of DSC, and there's a head element in there?....  but when I use the migration tool, the position value of the first component is always 0, as expected.  But, I'm going to hold off on doing any more analysis of the EAD import tool until after we've installed version 1.0.7 of ArchivesSpace.  And regardless, I think that we'll be using the AT Data Migration tool to get all of our EAD files into ArchivesSpace, since so far it seems to be doing a very good job, and I've also had trouble doing batch EAD imports.

All my best,

Mark Custer
Archivist / Metadata Coordinator
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library