[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question about Preparing Level/Container Manager in Archon for Migration

Grob, Julie jgrob at uh.edu
Wed Jan 15 18:16:56 EST 2014

Hi all,

I am working on preparing our content in Archon for migration to ArchivesSpace. Let me preface my question by saying that I'm stepping in because we are between Archon managers, and I am quite rusty on a lot of this. It has also been many years since I worked with EAD, and we don't ever export our Archon finding aids to EAD, so there may be some things that need standardization.

I'm on step 4 - Level/Container Manager. We have about 30 different Level/Container types, and it doesn't seem to be consistent as to whether they were marked as Intellectual Level or Physical Container when they were created.  Other than the default types.

1. Can I assume that most created Level/Container types should probably just be checked off as Physical Containers because they're not part of the intellectual hierarchical structure of a finding aid? (Cassette, Drawer, Film, Map, etc.)

2. There are a number of Level/Container types where I'm not sure what they were created for (Room? Track?) I wanted to search Archon for the actual content that was described by these mysterious Level/Container types, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Should I just assume that these are Physical Containers?

3. Are there any other "Intellectual" or "Intellectual & Physical" types I should be looking out for other than the ones listed in the Archon documentation? (collection, fonds, class, recordgrp, series, subfonds, subgrp, subseries, file, item, otherlevel).

4. We do have sub-sub-series and sub-sub-sub-series. What would the EAD level be for those.

Thanks for your help. I want everything to migrate smoothly!

Julie

Julie Grob
Coordinator for Digital Projects & Instruction
Special Collections
University of Houston Libraries
713-743-9744
jgrob at uh.edu